Here are some tips if you ever will have to give a speech. I think these are some really good guidelines that most of you will be able to understand and hopefuly follow.
Before the speech
- Find who the audience is
- Find what the audience wants
- Know your topic
- Prepare to convince the audience
Tip: use facts and statistics
- How much time do I have?
- What is the dress code?
- If everybody did exactly what I say, what would the world look like?
Your presentation should give the audience to build that world
- Find out keywords that your audience uses. Do this before and use them in your speech. It will make you sound like one of them and make you seem genuine and approachable
- As the responsible: “What is the one thing I could say that would offend everybody”.
Memorizing vs Notes
- It’s OK to have notes to look at from time to time
- Don’t memorize word for word
- Try to memorize keypoints
- Too perfect is not approachable – no connection with the audience.
Just before the Speech
- Mind – review the topic before the speech
- Body – sleep well, rest enough and eat!!
- Voice – warm your voice up, drink tap water (not cold)
- Room – arrive earlier to know the room
Tipos for a memorable speech
- Fact: your audience will go away with only one thing from your talk. -> so make it clear right from the start.
- Laugh – make them lauch every 2 or 3 minutes
- Make it a show – “An entertaining speaker creates a retaining audience”
- Echoing – make them talk
- Stories – tell them important points with stories
How to start a speech
- Smile 3 seconds …. and shut up
- Start talking with a story, a number, a quote! Ex: “147 days ago…..”
- You have 2 minutes to convince them that it will be a good speech
- P – Premisse – main idea, point
- I – Illustration
- P – Point – lesson learned
- use a name tag
- tell them where you screwed up – don’t be the hero
- get off the stage – connect with people, go into the audience
- Hang out -> dont leave right after the speech. Be there, let them come to you
Engage the audience
- Movement: you move (if you can); make the audience move: raise hands, clap hands
- Echos: make them repear something after you; let them finish a sentence for you
Manage time in public speaking
- Too long is death
- Cut +- 10% of time (Ex: if you have 60 minutes do 50)
- Clocks: keep an eye on it
- Estimate your speech might go a little than you thought
- Watch and keep your eyes in the person in charge
- No jokes – stay away from jokes
- Humour is always appropriate
- Be funny early and often
- Gesture can be funny
- Scre-ups can be used in your advantage
Close a public speech
- Let them know its finishing. “Finally….” or “To sum up….”
- Tie the end with the beginning/opening. Make it a well remembered ending.
- CTA – Call To Action: Tell them what you want them to do
- Close with a powerfol stody, illustration, quote or music
- Thank your audience
I am convinced that these few tips and advices will help you out and that your audience will love your speech. Do you have any more tips, comments or suggestions? If so then leave me a comment.
Thank you for reading this article. Please feel free to leave a comment or contact me.Thank you for reading this article. Please feel free to leave a comment or contact me.