First of all I have to admit that this article's title is from Ryan Block
who is the Co-founder of gdgt.com - a is a pretty awesome consumer electronics site that was acquired by Engadget. Mr. Block tweeted
this article's title attached to this video
and I liked it so much that I had to "borrow" it.
The main point of this post is to let you know about Mr. Musk who is the founder of ... get ready ... Paypal
, Tesla Motors
and he is also connected to a project called the Hyperloop that would be a high-speed train connecting LA to SF. Therefore it is not really surprising that some have compared him to the some of best including Steve Jobs and Tony Stark (yes, Iron Man).
Having a strong impact is the ambition of any entrepreneur - true - but having such a deep impact in three very different industries is "pure awesomeness". I mean if someone would tell you: "I will shake banking, space exploration and the automotive industry" you probably would think "yeah .... sure you will". I mean lets look at it in a detailed way:
- Banking could easily be compared to a "Bunker" - trying to shake things up is not a good plan. Possible of course, but a hard challenge.
- Space exploration has mainly been the domain of governments. And in the early 2000's this man went to Russia to negociate ICBMs (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile - which at the time costed ±$10M each) with the intent of bringing life to Mars.
- The automotive industry (especially all those who make money with fossil fuels) aren't really over-excited of us going all green and eco-friendly with 100% electric cars.
I think he goes far beyond the recipe of "find a problem and create a solution" strategy - it's much more forward thinking than that ... it is about leading innovation the same way that the "Wright Brothers" or Thomas Edison did in the past and not so much creating a massive business. Of course, if you are successfull making it happen then money will most likely follow.
Yes, President of the Universe might (is!) an exaggeration but the truth is that, for me and many others, Elon Musk is definitely one of the most interesting persons out there at the moment.
About his companies:
- Paypal - acquired by eBay $1.5 Billion (in 2002) - Paypal.com Company Profile by StartupScanner
- SpaceX - SpaceX designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft. The company was founded in 2002 to revolutionize space technology, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets.
- Tesla Motors - Tesla designs and manufactures electric vehicles including the Roadster, Model S, and Model X. Tesla's goal is to produce increasingly affordable electric cars to mainstream buyers.
Videos I recommend: